Italy is known to be one of the oldest nations in the world. There are countless cultural and historical heritage in Italy that are very fascinating; this has made Italy an attraction center for tourists all over the world as well as a determining factor for students who want to study abroad. There are many historical inventions and discoveries that also attract students, and coupled with the fact that Italy has some of the most prestigious universities in the world.
Why Choose to Study in Italy?
Italy has always been a citadel of learning for students all across the world. Not only that it exposes them to fascinating histories, arts and fashions of the world but also the tendency of learning the coveted Italian language. Study in Italy also offers some of the best academic excellence; in fact it is even more interesting when you study in an old university that some of the world greatest people attended.
It’s also important to mention that Italy has some amazing food and drinks which are very affordable.
Top Ranking Institutions
Here’s a list of top 5 institutions you should consider in Italy:
- Politecnico di Milano
According the current QS World University Rankings, Politecnico di Milano is the best university in Italy and it’s also placed the170th in the world. This institution is well known for its excellent art and engineering programs it offers as well as the notable alumni and Nobel laureate it has produced.
- Università di Bologna(UNIBO)Università di Bologna is known as the oldest university in the world. It is currently ranked 188th best university in the world by QS World University Rankings and also, according to the US News Global Universities Ranking, it is the 3rd best university in Italy and it earns 65.8 on a global score. This institution is highly reputed for its excellent academic stance.
- Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa
Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa was founded in 1810 and has since been part of the high ranking schools in the world. QS World University Rankings currently places it 192nd in the world while US News Global Universities ranks it 7thbest in Italy and 61.4 global score. Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa is grounded in the study of physics and astronomy and its faculty members boast of top-notch research papersin the world.
- Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna Pisa
Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna Pisa 12th in Italy and QS World University ranked it 192nd in the world. This institution is located in Pisa and is well established in the fields of applied sciences.
- Sapienza – Università di Roma
Another one of the oldest universities in the world is Università di Roma. It is one of the largest universities in Europe and has a huge student population from both home and abroad. This university boasts of about 6 Nobel laureates and other notable alumni. It is currently ranked 223rd in the world by QS World University Rankings.
How to Apply to Study at a University in Italy
Before you apply to study in Italy, you will need to check if you meet the necessary requirements and if you are eligible. There are many ways to find out about your eligibility, one of which is:
You ask for an assessment by contacting the university of your choice
The university will let you know if you areeligible and then you will be asked to submit a pre-application bid to the Italian embassy in your area.
The Italian embassy will now forward your application and documents to the institution you are applying to.
And lastly, the Italian embassy will publish the list of the applicants that have been admitted.
However, there are documents that will come handy when you are applying, so it is prudent you start collating the following documents as it will make your admission process easy. The documents are:
- Passport photograph
- Academic transcript
- University application form
- Detailed study programmes/course description
- CV/Personal data
- Letter of recommendation
- Letter of motivation
- Language proficiency (English or Italian)
- Portfolio: This is necessary only for applicants going for architecture, urban planning, or any design-related course
- Official score SAT or ACT
When to apply (undergraduate and graduate applications)
If you are applying to a university in Italy, you must have completed your application form between December and May. Between this period you must have sent all the required and every other necessary document to the student office, where they will be sent for examination and consideration. All of these documents may be sent to the Student Office, Viale Romania, Rome.
Deadline for students to submit application
All applicants are expected to meet the deadlines for the application and documentation processes; otherwise, the admission process may be forfeited.
University applications in Italy for undergraduates usually have their deadlines between April and May of every year.
For master’s programs in Italy, the deadline for applications vary with individual institution; however, the common dates are:
- For European Union students applying to study in Italy, they must the deadline between 1st of November and 1st of September of the following year.
- For Non-European Union applicants, the deadline for admission processing is between 1st of November to 15th of April of the following year.
What to expect when you study in France
As an applicant applying to study in a university in Italy, it is not unusual to have some expectations about the prospect of studying there. The following are some of the things to expect when you study in Italy:
- Living in an impressive environment
- Studying among people from different nations
- Seeing the wonders that surround Italy
- Being surrounded by grandiose arts, architecture and fashion, especially if you want to study any of the fields or related.
- Studying in some of the world’s oldest universities
Italy is very rich in arts, architectural designs, fashions, as well as the sciences. This means that Italy affords students to study not only in an interesting environment but also to attend institutions some of the legendary artists attended. Italian universities are focused on rigorous and quality academic pursuit that will enable students to foster their innate abilities as they carry on the spirit of excellence whereever they go.