Austria, is a federal republic German-speaking, and a landlocked country in Central Europe. It is bordered by the Czech Republic and Germany to the north, Hungary and Slovakia to the east, Slovenia and Italy to the south, and Switzerland and Liechtenstein to the west. Vienna, is Austrias largest city and capital.
Austria, is a great place to study. The country is one of the well-heeled countries in the world. The tertiary institutions are well-equipped and, most importantly, your certificate obtained here will be well-respected upon completion of your study.
Required documents for admission to study in Austria
1. Application for admission– University application form (can be downloaded from the university’s homepage or will be sent by them). The candidate must mention the program he/she wishes to study and relevant personal information.
2. Proof of nationality along with a copy of official ID along with photo or valid travel document(if required).
3. General university entrance requirements(attested copies for International students)
– for bachelor and diploma degree studies: secondary school leaving certificate or equivalent
– for master studies: bachelor or equivalent degree- for doctoral studies: diploma, master or equivalent degree
4. For many programs proof of proficiency in German: is necessary and should also be included in the application documents, if available (e.g. German examination with the school leaving examination, language course diplomas).
*Foreign documents have to be presented along with the original copy and have to be legalized. If documents are drawn up in languages other than German, legalized translations have to be added. Translations done abroad have to also be legalized.
Top Ranked Universities in Austria:
1. University of Vienna
2. Medical University of Vienna
3. University of Innsbruck
4. Medical University of Graz
5. Vienna University of Technology
6. Graz University of Technology (TU Graz)
Courses at Austrian universities are taught in either German or in English. It depends on which the student prefers, and sometimes the specification.
Tuition and Fee
Non-EU/EEA student, federal/public universities in Austria only charge about 363.36-726.72 Euros per semester for tuition fees (only two semesters in a year) plus 19.20 Euros for student union membership fee.
Student living expenses in Austria
Cities like Vienna and Salzburg, should have a monthly budget of between 900 and 1,200 EUR to cover all your expenses (accommodation, food bills, moderate social activities and public transportation).
In other student cities, like Linz or Graz, living costs would range between 730 and 1.000 EUR/month.
Student residence halls – 200 – 400 EUR/month for a single room.
Rent/share an apartment – around 300 EUR/month for one person, for an apartment in the city centre.
Home stay – average price is 550 EUR/month