Thinking of studying abroad in a world-class higher institution of learning recognized globally? University of Waterloo, Canada is your best option.
Established in 1957, with its first set of students being only 74, this foremost University now has campuses across Europe, North America, and Asia with its central campus in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. The institution also runs an online extension known as the Waterloo Centre for extended learning.
In recognition of its landmark achievements and efforts, the institution has been adjudged the best in several fields. The United States News and World Report Best Global Universities for 2017 ranked the institution 1st in Canada for Engineering and Computer Science.
In the year 2016 QS global ranking of Universities, University of Waterloo also clinched the 152nd position where her Engineering course was ranked among the world’s top 50 and her Computer Science was ranked in the league of the top 100 universities.
In the area of Career development, the Globe and Mail University Report proclaimed the institution as the best, a result of their emphasis on the cooperative education program. For 25 consecutive years, University of Waterloo has repeatedly been declared as the ‘Most Innovative’.
The University of Waterloo, Canada welcomes application into various academic and professional programs at both the undergraduate and postgraduate levels. Admission is also open to online masters, graduate diplomas and, doctoral programs which the renowned institution runs.
You are qualified for admission into the institution’s undergraduate program if:
- You have the Ontario secondary school Diploma (OSSD) with at least six grade 12 U or M courses or as specified by the department. In such instances, the Courses you have taken must also be relevant to the intended program of study.
- You are an applicant from other districts in Canada, and you have a secondary school grade 12 diploma.
Please note that:
- The minimum entry requirement for a particular course of study might be increased when authorities consider the number of spaces available, vi’s-à-vis the number of qualified applicants.
- The credentials of applicants from outside Canada will be properly reviewed by the admissions committee to make sure the standards are in tandem with the educational system of Ontario.
Postgraduate Master’s Admission;
If you would be applying for a Postgraduate Master’s Program, please ensure that:
- You have a 75% total standing in the two previous years. For applicants with a 4-year Honors BS.c degree, you will be required to have the equivalent of the 75% aggregate score.
- It is compulsory that you have at least two academic references except the course you are applying for requires a professional reference.
It is important also for you to note that admission into some courses might require a higher academic standing.
Postgraduate Doctoral Admission;
University with Waterloo’s Postgraduate degrees requires that applicants should normally possess the following:
- A weighted average of 75% academic standing or its equal in the previous degree.
- Advance ability and competence for carrying out research activities and other desirable qualities.
- Three academic reference letters.
Applicants should also note that admission into some courses might require a higher academic standing and where a professional reference is required, it would be stated specifically.
Admissions Requirements for International students;
International Students are welcome to apply for admission into the institution. You will, however, be required to:
- Submit your application through the University’s admissions portal
- Secure a duly attested Transcript from your post-secondary institution which clearly shows your academic standing and degree obtained
- Obtain a study permit by applying to Canada’s Citizenship and Immigration authorities in your country, especially if you wish to apply for full-time studies.
As part of the institution’s admissions requirement, applicants should note that:
- Any formal education received in the last 4 years before you applied must have been taught in the English Language, if English is not your first language.
- Canadians must be a bilingual Francophone speaker.
- Test score obtained in the following acceptable English Language Proficiency test may be required of you: Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), International English Language Testing System (IELTS), Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB), Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL), Pearson Test of English (PTE) and, English for Academic Success (EFAS).
- In each of both the oral and written forms of the above tests, an Applicant is required to have a total of at least 75%.
SOME OTHER FUNDAMENTAL REQUIREMENTS
In addition to the admissions requirements stated earlier, applicants are advised to note the following requirements also:
- University of Waterloo accepts Undergraduate degrees from only approved universities and colleges
- A non- refundable fee of $100.00 would be paid for early applications made through the online portal.
- Having received the application, the intended department in charge of the proposed program must give its approval.
- The Dean of the applicant’s Faculty will be required to guarantee the candidate before an admission is approved.
- Based on the recommendation given by the faculty committee, an applicant may be required to take a set of examinations.
- Other requirements are course specific.
Periods of Admission;
For an applicant within Ontario who wishes to be admitted during the September- December term, you will be required to submit your application online from December and latest by April; while March is the application deadline for others.
However, if you would like to be admitted into the January- April term, you have to apply online from June until October which is the deadline.
Please note that availability of spaces in some courses may prompt the school to extend the deadline for application.
University of Waterloo has a total of 6 faculties with about 11 faculty based schools. The table below shows some of their estimated tuitions;
|FACULTY OR PROGRAM||LOCAL STUDENTS (Canadian Dollars )||INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS(Canadian Dollars )|
|Applied Health Sciences||6,420||24,830|
Cost of living in Ontario Canada;
|FOOD ( Groceries )||PRICE ( Canadian Dollars C$ )|
|Regular Lunchtime Menu||C$ 13|
|Milk 1ltr||C$ 3.25|
|Coca-cola 2ltrs||C$ 2.43|
|Bread 1 loaf||C$1.31|
|Potatoes 1kg||C$ 2.09|
|Chicken 500gr||C$ 5.95|
|Tomatoes 1kg||C$ 3.59|
|Apple 1kg||C$ 3.24|
|ACCOMODATION (Housing / Utilities)||PRICE ( Canadian Dollars C$ )|
|85m2 furnished apartment for 2 (monthly rent)||C$ 1,200- 1,500|
|45m2 furnished apartment for 1 (monthly rent)||C$ 750- 1,200|
|Utilities(gas, heat, electricity)||C$ 105- 178|
|Monthly Internet||C$ 45-50|
|TRANSPORTATION||PRICE (Canadian Dollars C$)|
|Monthly public transportation ticket||C$ 75|
|1 ltr Gas||C $ 1.08|
|Taxi (8 km)||C $ 30|
With a reputation as a foremost research institution whose cooperative education programs have helped a lot of students excel not only academically, but also in their career, University of Waterloo remains your best choice for a qualitative university education. At Waterloo, Students are exposed to lots of practical experience in their educational pursuit which prepares them for a successful career life.
The University of Waterloo is waiting to receive you.