Belize is the only country in Central America whose official language is English. Also, English is the primary language of public education, government and most media outlets.
To study in Belize is a good decision. There are many study abroad programs available in Belize and the country is fast becoming a popular destination for students looking to travel for a semester abroad.
Belize is home to about five university or colleges that offer associates, bachelors and other undergraduate degrees.
*Here are the Top 3 Universities in Belize
2018 Belizean University Ranking
Rank Name of University Location
- University of Belize Belmopan
- Galen University San Ignacio
- Central America Health Sciences University, Belize Medical College (Belize City)
All international students seeking enrolment must meet the general admissions requirements where applicable
The following additional information must also be submitted by the applicant.
- All applicants applying from countries whose official language is not English need to provide satisfactory evidence that their competency in English is adequate.
- All academic credentials should be in English and evaluated by an international evaluating agency. Applicants are required to obtain and pay for the services of such agencies. A recommended agency is Josef Silny & Associates, Inc. at
- All international students are required to furnish the University of Belize with proof of financial support for the entire duration of the program for which the student is seeking admissions. An official letter from a bank or other financial agency should be submitted to document resources.
- International Students are responsible for their travel arrangements; however, the University of Belize will assist students upon arrival in Belize with acquiring student visas. Applicants should consult the Government of Belize Immigration Department website (http://ins.gov.bz/ ) or email the Department at firstname.lastname@example.org to determine visa requirements for the citizens of various countries who wish to visit or study in Belize.
General Application Requirements:
To be considered for admissions, all applicants must submit the following documents to the Office of Admissions. Applications will not be processed until the application form is completely filled out and all relevant documents are received.
- Completed admissions application form.
- One (1) official transcript in a sealed envelope from all previously attended educational institutions.
- Two (2) recommendations from individuals with first-hand knowledge of the applicant’s academic ability and completed on the University of Belize Forms. Forms must be presented in a sealed envelop and authenticated by the institution or organization.
- Results of CXC, the ATLIB Math and English general tests or test scores on the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) or the American College Test (ACT).
- One Passport size photograph
- Social Security (Photo ID) and Birth Certificate or Passport
- One certified copy of high school Diploma
- Applicants who are currently in high school must produce Diploma and completed transcript immediately after graduation
The completed application form must be submitted to the Office of Admissions along with a non-refundable application fee of BZ$30 or US $15. Locally, payment can be made in cash or using a credit card at the Accounts Office at the campus nearest to you.
For International Students, there are three methods of payment:
- Use of a Credit Card (please request the Credit Card Authorization Form from the Director of Accounts Receivables, Mr. Orlando Palma at email@example.com )
- An International Postal Money Order (must be submitted along with admissions package)
- An International of Foreign Cheque (payable to the University of Belize)
Applying to a Certificate or Diploma Program
Applicants to Certificate or Diploma Programs must submit the following:
- One official transcript from High School proving completion with 2.0 average out of a 4.0 grading system or equivalent.
- Additional program specific requirements set by the faculty are:
- 2.5 or C+ in English and other program required subjects,
- Applicants seeking entrance into the Midwifery Certificate Program must either be Registered or Practical Nurses
- Applicants seeking entrance into the Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner Certificate Program must be Registered Nurses.
- Applicants seeking entrance into the Diploma in Education program must have a Bachelor degree.
Application Forms for admissions are also available at the Student Affairs Office at any of the four (4) University of Belize campuses, from two-year ATLIB institutions and from Guidance Counsellors at high schools in Belize. Forms may also be obtained upon request through email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by writing to the following address:
University of Belize
Office of Admissions
P.O. Box 340 Belmopan City, Cayo District
Belize, Central America