Possible Ways To Get A PR in New Zealand (NZ) From Student Visa:

New Zealand Permanent Residents are residents of New Zealand, who hold a permanent resident visa, which – superficially seen – makes them equal to New Zealand citizens. A permanent resident visa must not be confused with a resident visa.

This article refers to the terms “resident” and “permanent resident” only in the scope of immigration purposes and describes the current situation based on the Immigration Act 2009. There are other definitions for residents in tax or electoral affairs.

New Zealand  is an island country in the southwestern Pacific Ocean. The country geographically comprises two main landmasses—the North Island and the South Island.

Basically, any student who wish to stay in New Zealand and work after completing his/her studies,  most definitely need the right visa to stay put.

International students who have achieved a New Zealand qualification may be allowed to gain experience in work related to their studies.

Image result for images for students permanent residence permit in new zealand

Depending on what you study, you may be able to work in New Zealand for up to four years, and possibly even gain residence.

First you need to apply for a visa and have it approved. The study to work pathway has two steps:

  1. Post-study work visa (open). This visa gives you up to 12 months to get a job in a field related to your studies. While you are looking for a job in your field you are allowed to work in any job to support yourself.

The Post Study Work Visa (Open) allows you to work for any employer in New Zealand and find a job that’s relevant to your studies.

  • You have three months after your student visa ends to apply for the visa (or six months if you have done a PhD).
  • If you find a job relevant to your qualification, you may then apply for a further two-year Post-study work visa (Employer Assisted).
  • You can find out whether you meet the criteria and apply for the visa online.

2. Post-study work visa (employer assisted). This visa lets you stay in New Zealand to gain work experience for a further two years (or three years if work experience is required as part of a professional registration). This visa relates to a specific job with a specific employer.

After your post-study work visa (employer assisted) you may be eligible to apply for a New Zealand resident visa under the Skilled Migrant Category. If your work is in an occupation that has skill shortages, this improves your chances of being allowed to stay, either with work visas or residence.

For more information on how to stay to work temporarily after studying in New Zealand to get a resident visas visit newzealandnow.govt.nz.

Tips for Job Hunting:

New Zealand is a developed country and ranks highly in international comparisons of national performance, such as health, education, economic freedom and quality of life. Since the 1980s, New Zealand has transformed from an agrarian, regulated economy to a diverse market economy.

Upon completion of studies, students can try out these options either by registering with a recruitment agency, contacting potential employers directly or signing up with New Zealand job vacancy websites, such as Trade Me and Seek. Another useful site is New Kiwis.