How To Apply For A PHD Study In The UK

In reality,  to study in UK comes with a big price tag, despite its expensive nature to study here, the Uk, is still one of the prefered study abroad destinations for international students.

Degrees and qualifications from UK higher education institutions are highly recognised around the world as high quality and world class . UK higher education is renowned for the quality of its teaching and research. Many of the leading UK universities boast world-class research facilities and produce research of the highest standard, enabling both taught and research students to benefit from the knowledge and expertise of some of the world’s most acclaimed specialists.

If you’re planning or still considering if you should put an application to any of the schools in UK, here are some helpful information on how you can begin.

Image result for images for phd study in uk

The known fact is studying and living in the UK also provides international students with an excellent opportunity to improve their English language skills, further enhancing their future employability.

There are two options for PhD studies:

  1. For many PhD courses, you choose your own research topic and you work on this project independently under the supervision of an academic.
  2. A PhD may be offered as part of an existing project which the university is already working on. This is sometimes called a ‘studentship’ and means you will be working on a pre-determined project.

Entry Requirements

Entry requirements differ at each university and course . Typically, Most universities will require a good first degree. For a PhD, you may be required to have a Masters degree in addition to your undergraduate one. Furthermore, you will be required demonstrate that you have a good command of English.

International students will be required to meet the English language requirements set by the university such as IELTS or TOEFL before joining the university. The exact English requirements will depend on the university and the course, but typically range from IELTS 5.5 to IELTS 7.5 (TOEFL 525-625).

Students who have been educated in English are often able to submit high school English qualifications (e.g. GCSE or O-level) instead of IELTS or TOEFL. Most universities would require the equivalent to a grade C at GCSE level to satisfy these conditions.


EU students normally pay the same PhD fees as UK students and have access to some public funding (including partial Research Council studentships). It isn’t yet clear how Brexit will affect this in future. However, the UK Government has confirmed that existing fee and funding arrangements will continue to apply to any students who begin a PhD in the 2018-19 academic year – and will be guaranteed for the duration of your doctorate.

Funding Options

There are three main funding routes for PhD students:

  1. Self-funded: Many students pay their own tuition fees to complete a PhD. You can use the course search to find relevant courses and to see the tuition fees.
  2. Studentship: Universities often receive funding from research councils, charities and industry partners to undertake research. If you apply to undertake your PhD as part of one of these projects, your tuition fees are usually covered under the studentship and you may also a receive money towards your living costs. Please note that some studentships are not open to international applicants.
  3. Scholarship: Many universities in London offer part or full scholarships for international PhD students. Use the scholarships database to see which scholarships are available for PhD students.

    Top 4 Universities in The UK:





    How to apply for a PhD

    In order to apply for a PhD, you will need to apply directly to the university. All universities in London have online application systems which allow you to complete your personal details and scan and upload your qualifications directly onto the system. You can apply to as many different universities and courses as you like as long as you find suitable supervisors at each university.